Sunday, August 3, 2014

What Have I Learned? Part 1

So I've come a very long way to get my sweet new credentials. Along the way, I've gained new skills, new friends, and a helluva lot of new knowledge. In this two part series, I will share some of the great things I've learned over the last busy year.

Nutrition is easy
Hahahahahahaha, right? No one thinks this is easy. As a matter of fact, this is why I have a job! But truly, nutrition is as easy as it should be. Those who come to me asking about how to lose weight, bulk up, eat healthier, etc. can be asked the same questions right back to them. What do you think you need to do differently? Guaranteed, we all could be eating more fruit and vegetables daily. A lot of us probably eat out a little too often. A big one: not enough physical activity. So why ask me? So my advice to you, ask the questions back to you and see which ones you can answer. When it becomes another question, that's where the health professional (yours truly) can step in and help out! Don't know how to slice a mango? Ask! Don't know how to incorporate more olive oil and less butter into your diet? Ask! Wondering why you have plateaued in your weight loss success? Ask!

Question what you read
This may make you suspicious of even my articles, but you should really be careful what you buy into. Think about the articles you read on the internet. The newest buzz on Facebook may not be the best catalyst to changing your behaviors. I've ready plenty of articles that just spew shoddy science. Be careful! For example, I read an article about putting butter in your coffee...and it being healthy...and how it's perfect as the only item of your breakfast. I wanted to lose my mind looking at how many views it had! I don't see anything wrong with trying this, but trying to "swing it" so that it will be beneficial in every way? Please...so I've narrowed this problem down to asking two questions: does it sound to good to be true? and what would I be missing out on if I try this? If it sounds so amazing and fantastic or every uses words like "magic" or "revolutionary" or "secret" you should tread with caution. And anything that wants you to eliminate meals/foods/ingredients completely could lead to missing out on awesome nutrients and when done incorrectly will hurt more than help.

Share your successes, not your crankyness
Think this has nothing to do with nutrition? Think again. Plenty of mornings over the last year, i was complaining more than necessary for any human being. It doesn't help anything. So, instead of complaining about how awful you eat, how infrequently you exercise, and how much weight you've gained, start sharing what you are going to change. Recruit others on your path! I hate the phrase "misery loves company." I prefer "share the success." Once you recruit the partner, push each other, don't let the other fail by holding them (and yourself) accountable. Make this your roommate, loved one, child, or even a social media outlet like Reddit (here's a nice subreddit). This is one area that I think never looks like bragging when letting your friend know "I've lost 10 lbs!" or "I have been cooking fresh recently, and I had no clue it was so flavorful."

Stay tuned for part 2 of my learnings next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment